It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rebel passenger seat Modifications*
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:24 pm 

State/Province: IN
City: Northwest
Just took a few hour ride with a lady friend of mine and she wasn't to happy with the seat. Any suggestions on extra padding without changing it out (if that can be done). Do they make small gel pads that will cover it? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Rebel passenger seat .. any suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Gerianne was hunting a good deal on a 600 Star seat with the intention of having me force fit it.

To date, nothing has happened on that front. But it is an idea to consider.

And there are several threads on sculpting your seat. Something about a metal bar that shapes the seat. IF you open the seat, you can remove that piece and gain some acreage.

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:01 pm 

My seats great, it's the little pillion thing that's the problem. been looking at pads but so far they are all to big. probably will have to make something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:16 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Apache Junction
Scott58 wrote:
My seats great, it's the little pillion thing that's the problem. been looking at pads but so far they are all to big. probably will have to make something.

How about the P-Pad off a VLX? it is a little larger then the Rebel P-Pad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:14 pm 
Forum Administrator

A lot of Shadow riders get the pillion off of Valkyiries (it's less like a pillion and more like a back porch) and install them on the Shadows.

You might consider something like that.

Did the plywood thing not work out? Or am I remembering the wrong person?

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:36 pm 

Your thinking of someone else. i think I'll just end up making something to fit. There isn't much room to the tail light. This is the first time i've been 2-up on this bike. It does really well, just not comfy for the passenger.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:21 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Fort Worth
It was me you were thinking of Duke. I made my own :) The wife and I went on a 170 mile ride yesterday and the seat worked like a charm. Her only complaint was leg room. So I told her we should get the GL1800 package. That will get her enough room. She then asked how much for that package. I said ohh about 18K. :) Then she realized what I was talking about and slapped me upside the back of the head. :(

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:20 pm 
Forum Administrator

Ten dollars a cube?

Why, that's a bargain!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:02 pm 

State/Province: CT
Scott, you can try

www.gelseat.com/motorcycles.htm

540-868-9434.

I don't know them, just of them. -Mick

Post subject: Mrs. not happy with back seat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:15 pm 

She would prefer a wider pillion seat for our 2005 Rebel. So far I have not found anything though my Honda dealer or on this sight. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch, -Mick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:33 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Milford
Id have to say, that the rebel pillion being so tiny is probably uncomfortable for most any grown adult - even ones on the smaller side. No so much to do with the padding amount but size of seated surface. That's allot of pressure for a small area to absorb and distribute, while still providing adequate support.

I haven't tried one but have heard of "comfy saddle" on a few message boards... you might want to check it out. (click here) Basically it goes over your pillion with a yoke like a saddle bag has, with two cushions on either side. And it's totally removable, when you don't need it :)

Post subject: Re: Mrs. not happy with back seat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:44 pm 

plenty - and most ARE posted on this site ...

search terms (all) ... seat foam ... ... seat mod... ...pillion mod...

things like that

1)
2short2ride wrote:
After many months my CMX 450 "touring saddle" project is complete. I bought a use front and rear seat set off Ebay for $9 and proceded to hack them up :twisted: . First I took the covers loose and seperated the foam from the pan on both seats. Then I heated the front pan with a torch to flatten it out like the rear pan. After it was flat I cut it to the same length as the rear pan measuring from the backrest forward. Then I cut the front seat foam to the same length. Now the tricky part I had to cut a large V notch out of the front foam to get it to lay flat. Next I pop rivited the modified front pan to the stock rear pan so I could use the stock mounting bracket and screws. I had to cut the sides and strap off the bracket since the new rear seat is much wider. After that I used spray adhesive to glue the modified foam the the pan and held it in place with duckt tape while it dried. Lastly I dropped it off at the upholstry shop where it was recovered for $60. It didn't turn out exactly like I envisioned it but for about $75 the wife now has a comfortable seat that doesn't look too bad. I also added '86 stile passenger foot pegs which are much more cushoned than the hard rubber '87 pieces. This should stop the complaint that the vibration made her feet numb. Now all I need is some nice weather to try it all out.
You can see pix of my hacking here :
http://www.geocities.com/posimarks/rebelseat

=====

2) seat overlay or pad
RebelVixen wrote:
There's a link somewhere on MilleniumRebel's page about a add-on piece for the rear seat, kind of like throwing over mini saddle bags, they just make for a wider space to sit on for the rear passenger.
- Jess

http://www.saddlemen.com/comfysaddle.html

http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/shop/in ... art=207135

http://buttbuffer.com/

=====

3) PRO custom seat re-builders
rojo wrote:
I surely don't know much about this topic, but have you tried this site: http://www.day-long.com/ ?
- Rojo

http://www.martinblain.com/index2.htm

=====

4) one of the two off-the-shelf custom seat for the rebel
2) seat overlay or pad
RebelVixen wrote:
There's a link somewhere on MilleniumRebel's page .....
- Jess

http://www.saddlemen.com/metricclassic.html
(3rd one down)

=====

5) honda upgrade package (part #GL-1800)
MillenniumRebel wrote:
there is an upgrade package available at most honda dealers that will give you a MUCH more comfortable touring saddle and also give you a lot more power for accessories and lights and all kinds of stuff ... just ask the honda dealer for part # GL-1800

Last edited by MillenniumRebel on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:35 pm 
Forum Administrator

I've mentioned this before,

but a lot of the Shadow riders around here buy Valkyrie pillions and fit them to their bikes. It's not a lot of work; you might consider going to the dealer and putting a 'hiney test' on several options and try something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:54 pm 

My search terms were "back seat".

Thanks for the help MillenniumRebel.

-Mick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:43 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
City: Fort Worth
I custom made a wider pillion for my rebel before I traded it in. I used the stock pillion seat pan and used 3/4 inch marine grade ply to widen the seat then used foam to fill it out and vinyl to cover it.

here's the pan with wood

here's the prototype to test if the width was good. Still needed to round out the foam. Took a 170 mile ride and the wife was pleased with the seat compared to the stock one.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:31 pm 

I bought a comfy saddle rear seat extender from a forum member and my girlfriend couldn't be happier. We went from 1 hour rides that ended in "I have to get off this thing" to 3 or 4 hour rides that really didn't have to end "I'm fine, keep going". i guess that s a testamonial as good as any. I've never sat on in myself, I'm always driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:13 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Simi Valley
Last week I padded my seat on the 250 for me and did a new pillion on the 450 for my wife.
For my seat I took out the metal plate in the seat. Put the original cover back on, then added 4 inches of foam and a new cover. It ain't pretty, but it's comfortable and also improves the ergonomics for my 6 foot frame.

For the pillion I made a new base out of plywood. Sealed it with epoxy. Put on 2 inches of dense foam and then 4 inches of softer foam. Stuffed well and covered it. I used heater hose in place of the rubber bumpers. Yes, it does look like a pillow and yes it is wide. Hopefully it will be the most comfortable thing this side of a GoldWing.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

1985 Magna 700 (project bike)
Where you look, there you shall go.
Applies to motorcycles, and to life.

Post subject: front seat in the rear
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 pm 

City: Plantersville
ok so my wife loves to ride on the back but complained about the comfort of the passenger seat. so we bought a gel pad for 75 bucks. still no good. she was practically in tears after just 15-30 minutes of riding. so next i took the seat off and brought in to an upholstry shop to have softer padding put in. well now she says its much better but still not good enough. after about 30-45 min she is still dying. so now the plan is to put another front seat in the rear. i will have to move the tail light back further which is the scariest part because of having to drill new holes. any thoughts?? i am scared to death to drill holes in the rear fender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:48 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Long Beach
I have a set on the seat of my Vuclan 500 and they work quite well.

http://www.beadrider.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:55 pm 

http://www.geocities.com/posimarks/rebelseat

These are some pictures of a touring seat I made for my wife's 450. I took an old front seat chopped it off short and rivited it to the seat pan from an old rear seat, then had the whole thing reupholstered. The beauty is it bolts right up to the stock holes so no drilling new unwanted holes. As you can see in the pics the front seat has a different curve to it than the back seat so I had to cut a V shaped notch out of the foam then bend the foam flat to fit the pan which I had to heat and straighten. It came out pretty nice and the sore butt complaints stopped.