It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Starter noises and clicking in 2nd gear
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:37 am 

State/Province: WA
City: Medical Lake
Hi all, I am a new Rebel owner, just picked up a 1986 250 for a great price. She does have a few issues that maybe someone can give me some insight on. First one is a nasty noise from the starter (I assume) when first starting her up. Once she is running and idling she sounds really good.

The next issue comes into play when I shift into 2nd gear. There is a loud clicking noise until you get a little speed, just before shifting to 3rd. Could I have a tranny issue?

All in all she is in pretty good shape. Needs a paint job, the side covers a missing, and the turn signal switches are bad (an easy fix - gonna replace and upgrade those anyway).

Thanks for any insight into my starter and gear issues.

Taunya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 pm 

State/Province: SC
City: Chapin
Could be your clutch I know I had to get a rebuild kit for my other bike that I got rid of but congrads on the 86 I have a 85 and love it.
ps try letting her run with the choke on when I dont put mine in choke it makes a terrible noise but if I let her run on choke a few mintues she runs smooth as can be of course shes runs fine in the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm 

Thanks, I'll try that. It is a bit cold here. We try and let the shop warm up before starting the bikes, but sometimes...well, I can't wait. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:47 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
Rebel: None
State/Province: DE
Just a silly question about that clicking noise...how's the oil? (Really very little experience here, but I think it's worth looking into).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 pm 

That was actually one of the first things I checked. Oil is nice and clean and at the right levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
It's hard to assess the clicking noise problem without hearing the noise. Maybe more information would help. Is there any "feel" that goes with the noise? Is it really just the second gear or is it the speed? Where does it seem to come from? Is it the same with power on as with clutch pulled in?

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:07 pm 

Duckster...the clicking noise is coming from the tranny. When I shift into second it starts. There really isn't any feel, but as soon as I shift it begins the clicking, even before I let off the clutch. Once I shift up or down it quits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm going to guess a broken tooth or shifter dog on a gear. That's the only thing I can think of that might cause that kind of noise in one gear only.

1996 Ducati 900SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:31 am 

Thanks, that is what my husband and I were thinking. Do you know if they use syncronizers for shifting? How do the gears mesh for shifting?

We've got the thing pulled apart now to clean and assess the bike for repairs. She runs well other than the starter making funny noise upon starting and the second gear issue. I have given it a nice new paint job since it had fades spots and scratches all over it. Sat outside unprotected most of its life from what we were told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:53 am 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
The starter noise is common and more noticeable in colder weather. My 86' makes it from time to time. It's just the starter clutch squeal. I also get a clicking noise in high gear when it's being ridden below 45 degrees. If the noise is only in second gear, keep an eye on it in case it worsens. Have you moved it up to 20W50 oil for the spring and summer. It may make the noise less noisy.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

mommaT wrote:
Thanks, that is what my husband and I were thinking. Do you know if they use syncronizers for shifting? How do the gears mesh for shifting?

We've got the thing pulled apart now to clean and assess the bike for repairs. She runs well other than the starter making funny noise upon starting and the second gear issue. I have given it a nice new paint job since it had fades spots and scratches all over it. Sat outside unprotected most of its life from what we were told.

No there are no synchronizers in a motorcycle transmission. The gears are basically always meshed, but only one pair of gears at a time link the input shaft to the output shaft. Only 2 gears in the transmission are fixed to the shafts, and all the others either slide on splines or are free to spin on the shafts. Gear ratios are changed by sliding gears around on the splines using the shifting "forks" and locking the free spinning gears to its neighbour by the "dogs" or pegs on the sides of the gears that fit into holes on the neighbouring gear. Only one meshed set of gears are both engaged to their shafts at a time. It sounds very complex but looks simpler when you see one work.

1996 Ducati 900SS