It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 pm 

Motorcycle: CMX 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: AL
City: Gadsden
Hey Duke - For those who don't speak metric - multiply kmph by 0.62 for the mph equal. So 100 kph is 62 mph and sorry boomi but I still have passing throttle at 65 - 70 mph (100 - 120 kph). I would look for simple answers before I tried to do any big mods.

tweakedlogic: The Hyosung 250 is 249cc, with 4 valve/cyl and roller cam etc. and it breaks out 22 hp and 180 kph (110 mph).. The Hyosung is also a very "oversquare" engine with much larger bore and shorter stroke than the rebel, hence less low-end torque and higher rpm. Now I am NOT a bike racing builder but I was racing stock cars in the days of flat dirt tracks and Hudson Hornets, spent 15 years as an automotive machinist building top ends of sprints and midgets and a few dragsters and its my guess that if all the machine work you are looking at doing is successful, you will get a faster, more powerfull bike that you can increase top speed on very easily - FOR A SHORT LIFE! When I was racing midgets we planned on a full teardown between our weekly race dates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:03 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Thanks, Jake.

Yes: there is "passing throttle" at 62 miles an hour, but there isn't _racing_ throttle. That make sense?

You're going to need a bit of space and some forethought into your passing.

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:05 am 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
running start comes to mind often.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:17 am 

State/Province: AB
City: Calgary
Actually max for 1st gear is 20 KMH (12.4 MPH).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 am 
Forum Administrator

bB2NER wrote:
running start comes to mind often.

Yep;

that's it in a nutshell.

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:06 pm 

State/Province: AB
City: Calgary
Max speed on the speedometer is 140 KMH (87 MPH). Has anyone reached that speed using the stock configuration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 pm 

Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
I imagine a lot of people have with a slight downhill. Max speed for most people on flat ground I suspect is between the upper 70's and very low 80's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:55 pm 
Forum Administrator

Yes; there are those of us who have done it ;)

It takes dedication, a _long_ flat stretch, perfect shifting, and a genuine racing tuck. Knees alone won't do it ;)

------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 pm 

My 86' which is down slightly on compression can barely reach 72 ish and the 09' gets to about 80 on occasion. Both have the 15 tooth front sprockets.

92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 pm 

Motorcycle: CMX 250
State/Province: AL
City: Gadsden
Lets see if I can offer something of value after doing hill climbs and ducking big rig buffetting for 4 hours. (1) check your air cleaner and feed tubes; (2) check your plug gap or better yet replace with new plugs. From my years in auto racing and machine work plugs start breaking down after about 1000 miles or a few WOT hot laps; (3) Check your valve clearance, the factory preferred clearance cold is .002 in, I prefer .004 in - that leaves a little leeway for those who don't have a good "feel" for "drag" on the feeler blade and also a little room for valve/seat runin and expansion while running. A little tappet noise is not necessarilly bad; (4) check your chain alignment and brake drag along with your clutch adjustment to make sure you have adequate freeplay in the clutch after it is fully engaged; (5) check your carb adjustment and if necessary, pull the carb and check the main jet. It might be useful in your locale to up the jet one size, especially if you are in a high humidity region; (6) Check your throttle cable(s) to make sure that you get full opening and closing; (7) check your tire pressure, low pressure will lower your WOT and impair your steering - I run 28 psi fron and rear.

My rebel mounts a wind screen, luggage trunk and saddle bags for extra drag, I ride upright and with my heels hanging over the tail of the floorboards. I routinely hit 75 on the interstates around the Valley of The Sun without removing the screen, the bags or the trunk and without lying on the tank and trying to tuck everything in close to cut drag.

I was passed by a HD Sportster today on a uphill climb but over the next 2 miles he never pulled more than 250 yards ahead of me and we both turned off at the same stop for a coffee break. I didn't talk to the guy but he spent a lot of time eyeballing the Rebel while I was waiting for my order at McD's.

Now I don't know what you are comparing your Rebel to but the smallest Sportster engine is 883cc and I am NOT ashamed of the Rebel performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
jake_iv wrote:
I was passed by a HD Sportster today on a uphill climb but over the next 2 miles he never pulled more than 250 yards ahead of me... .

Do you reckon he was riding WOT? Or was he just low on points?
brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:44 pm 

highly doubtful the sportster was going WOT! more likely he was going what he was comfortable with, and was surprised an old parellel twin was able to keep up with that.

cruisers, whether on a HD or a honda, typically have a very different mentality from 'busa riders. "what speed is possible?" vs. "what speed is optimal?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 pm 

The fastest for me has been a little over 85. That was totally stock. I have 22,000 + miles on mine and hard saddle bags as well as cruzier pegs that were in use at the time. With everything that I have read about the rebel has been said on this thread and this forum. IT is true. A bullet proof bike that is dependable with proper maint. and the understanding it is NOT A ROCKET. It does have a 250cc engine and will really only go so fast. If you really need more speed I agree Buy a bigger bike. The rebel is fast enough for anyone to ride and You really get a lot of looks as you ride it on the road. Keep it well tunned up and Ride it alot and you will work the gears and learn that it can do things those other bikes can't. You know 60+ miles to the gallon and a whole lot of fun cheap. I keep looking to buy another bike then I look at the rebel and say why do I want to go faster and do I really want that. I enjoy taking my time and looking at the world as I ride a bike that others stear at and say you have put that many miles on that. 100,000 miles is my goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:58 am 
Forum Moderator

dl52163 wrote:
100,000 miles is my goal.

:cheers:

Interesting. The 'how FAST will my rebel go?' threads outnumber the 'how FAR will my rebel go?' threads by at least 10 to 1.

I'll leave that one to the sociologists...

There are a lot of things you can do to make your rebel run further, and not surprisingly, they generally don't include the things you can do to make your rebel run faster (other than sprocket changes, personal weight loss and regular maintenance).

brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:52 am 

People look at the bike as a means to step up to another bike. What about people who really like the bike and want to see what all it can do. My 02 nissan has 135000 miles on it and I have done nothing but gas oil and tires. I hope that I can do the same to the rebel. I purchased a 4 year warenty with the bike and I have already paid for that purchase in warenty issues. Blown engine gasket leaking seal and what not. Hey it might be a great starter bike but it is also a great daily rider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:10 pm 
Forum Administrator

wheezeburnt wrote:
dl52163 wrote:
100,000 miles is my goal.

:cheers:

Interesting. The 'how FAST will my rebel go?' threads outnumber the 'how FAR will my rebel go?' threads by at least 10 to 1.

I'll leave that one to the sociologists...

You don't really have to, Sir.

As a general trend, tbe urbanites on this board outnumber the travelers about the same ;)

------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm 

Is it only me or does anyone else picture a Rebel 250 dropping out of a plane each time they read the title of this thread?

92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Duke wrote:
[As a general trend, tbe urbanites on this board outnumber the travelers about the same ;)

"Urbanite"! I'm heading down to the geology and minerals branch to see if they've got a sample of that. :lol: :lol:

brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 am 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
wheezeburnt wrote:
Duke wrote:
[As a general trend, tbe urbanites on this board outnumber the travelers about the same ;)

"Urbanite"! I'm heading down to the geology and minerals branch to see if they've got a sample of that. :lol: :lol:

brent

Rapidly expanding Urbanite occurs when YUPPIES, DINKS an the Upwardly Mobile are combined.

Dan

:lol: :Lil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:11 am 

State/Province: NC
City: Raleigh
Mine did 90 (past the numbering!) when I first got it with 3200 miles at ~8600 rpm. Now It'll only due about 75... which is about 65. :shock: I'm beginning to suspect compression losses...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next