All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Choosing a Windshield *
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:13 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
This is essentially a compilation of info from the old forum on windshields. I am not going with brands or retailers (in general, anyway-- most of this is bulk quotes), so if that is what you are looking for, I recommend going somewhere like MillenniumRebel's resource page to begin your hunt:

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/mill ... Links.html

I am primarily posting comments about what to look for in a shield, the reasons to (or not to) get a shield, and over-all comments about shields. Maybe I can pull this off, and maybe I can't; depends a lot on what I find first.

If I get time after I pull all this together, I will try to organize this into some sensible flow. Don't look for this to be an essay, however; it is primarily a collection of comments pulled from numerous people and numerous converstations.

There is a really informative, easy-to-follow article on the subject right here in our own back yard. It can be found again at

http://www.surfmaine.com/rebel/windscreens.html

That said, on with the show!

1) A good windshield is the best defense against turbulence (I said a _good_ one; in my own experience, the police shield and all of its many variants are complete crap with regard to wind protection. Many of them will actually act as sails, allowing the air to move behind them and create yet more turbulence-- turbulence that is attatched to your forks!

Try to find a shield that leans back at an angle that will throw the bulk of (not necessarily all) of the wind over you or to the sides. This sets you up with a little more slipstream and crest of your own to push into that generated by other vehicles-- kind of a little bumper to cut a tiny bit of snap out of it.

Also, make sure that your windshield is wide enough to actually shift the direction of the wind around you and as much of your bike as possible, at least at speed. If you are only moving it from your head to your shoulders, only your neck benefits.

Just to recap the windshield checklist:
Make sure it is tall enough to throw wind over you, at least at speed.
Make sure it is wide enough to throw wind around you, at least at speed.
Make sure that it is canted enough that it does not become a turbulence hazzard in itself.

2) wind buffeting is a function of surface area also - the smaller rebel presents LESS surface area and i find that it gets buffeted a little less than the taller sportster with it's larger surface area ... size matters - and in wind buffeting surface sail area less is more stable as it gives the wind less to push against

3) It cuts way down on wind beating your chest and it real nice

4) [in response to a question about top speed] Lots of factors involved in that, for instance...how heavy you are, does your bike have a windshield, how steep uphill, how fast the wind your going into is..

5) In my opinion a good windshield is a must. Be sure to get one that alows you to see over the top of the shield by about two inches. When riding at night for an extented amount of time the shield will become a little dirty with bugs, etc. and when passing oncoming traffic you may get alot of glare on a shield that you have to look through instead of over the top.

6) I have a large windshield, tilted back to be streamlined; there is a space between its bottom and my headlight which I fill with a towel(for wiping up my blood at my eventual accident site). The shield tilted back helps keep the steering centered and offsets some buffeting but sometimes ya' just have to roll with it and let the bike move a little.

7) Having a small sport shield on your bike does wonders for turning it into something that you can not only ride for a couple hours, but for several hundred miles a day...given a few rest stops, of course.

8) I just ran down Interstate 5 which is the main freeway up here in Washington. The bike was purring like a kitten at 65 mph but the wind was really pulling hard on me. I do have a little windshield on her but boy I was still catching tons of wind. When I pulled off into town that is when the fun began. I really love bikes at 45 mph or less. The wind can really wear you out.

9) a- Do you have a windshield installed?
b- Definite yes on the windshield

10) I got caught in rain for about 150 miles in central and northern FL. Droplets formed on my sunglasses no matter what, even though I tried to hide behind my windshield most of the time. When it got really bad, I would poke my head up over the windshield and let the wind blow the droplets off the glasses.

11) You know how I deal with it-- keep a facer on the back fender when it smells like rain. On the rare occasion that I have a windshield on (cross-country or winter riding), then I don't have any problems at all. I set the shield at enough angle to keep the wind and rain off my glasses.

Two of my brothers are also unconcerned with getting wet. One of them uses a dirtbike helmet when it looks like rain. The long visor seems to shelter him enough if he tips his head a bit. Of course, he runs a windshield all the time, and doesn't need much more than that.

The other one keeps a pair of small swimming googles in his pocket (the kind with two eyepieces that seals to your skull). Of course, he runs a shield all the time, too, so there is no big concern about the stinging of the face that rain gives me.

12) a-- When I first got my Rebel I ordered the spitfire windshield from Jack's. I pretty much just stuck it on and started riding but it always seemed to put allot air turbulants in my face.
I feel kinda stupid now but yesterday on the front page of Honda online there is the article from Pete about fitting your windscreen so after reading it I went out and made a few adjustments and boy was I surprised the difference it made. I had screen to low and not enough angle to get the wind over my head. I feel kinda foolish not to have tried this before now but coming from the HD world before the Rebel the HD windscreens kinda fit in a bracket with no adjustment the HD engineers had the angles all figured out. I thought being a small shield you just had to kinda put up with a little wind in your face.
Maybe in the future I'll have enough sense to read the inportant info people put here!!
Anyone with the small screen that is not happy with the performance read this article it making one hellua difference.

b-- Don't feel too bad, Herb...I'm still tweaking out my windshield, and seem to improve it each time...and I've had it almost a year

13) Right now I wear a flip down face shield for around town but I might like a more open helmet for crusing on trips. I never acquired the taste for bugs.

14) I already have a windshield on my 250, not Spitfire...a National... heavy tint/painted lower edge. It obscurs a significant amount of the front signals. To do otherwise I would have to mount it too high. Not overly happy about that. I don't think it is a real safety problem but I know if it ever had to be re-inspected it wouldn't pass.

15) put a Spitfire windshield on my baby. Only cost $56.95 at the dealer and took about 15 minutes to install. Helps a lot!!

16) I bought the biggest windshield hanging on the wall at the honda dealers when i bought the bike but i stored it while using a j c whitney shield i got from a friend. that didn't last long because the wind kept moving the steering around. took of the whitney and with help put on the big shield, angling it backwards a little and stuffing a towel between the headlight and bottom of the shield (good for soaking up the blood at my inevitible crash sight-someday). angling the shield made it more aerodynamic with much less effect on the steering. i check my mileage at each fill and the shield has not affected mileage at all probably because it is a more efficient way to deflect the wind than have my body do it.
works great in the rain too.

17) My windshield came from Jack's in Fl. I ride quite a bit and on some longer trips without the windshield I would't attempt the long rides. My windshiels catches me about my chin level, I keep screwing around with the adjustments until I got it where most of the air is deflected over my head. I ride with a 3/4 helment and even with windshield adjusted best possibility you still get allot wind in the face so on long rides I bought a nice pair of goggles. They really help allot and keep junk out your eyes too.
You can get a higher windshield but I really feel it affects the handling of the bike, the shorter sporty style seems to work best for me.

18) a-- I went on my first long ride this weekend. At least long to me, 150 miles. Boy was it windy!!! I thought I was going to need a neck brace! Would a windshield help deflect the wind, or does it just deflect the bugs? I think I need the chiropractor!!!

b-- It helps and hinders. It keeps some wind off of you but drags a little

c-- I enjoy mine, esp at high speeds. And my boyfriend won't go on long rides with me until he gets one for his motorcycle!

d-- All you need is a small sport shield, and you're in business. You won't believe the difference!!! You'll be way less tired, too...the wind really knocks you around at highway speeds.

19) I would think a small windshield adjusted at a slip streaming angle has got to help milage as well.

20) the 450 will do 100 without yhe windshield an d about 90 without

There you have it. excerpts from 20 different conversations from within the past three months. The time and effort of culling all that has caused me to decide _not_ to further edit them. I think they say enough on their own.

If anyone still wants more info, or a simple essay, I will consider composing one--- later.

The address for the article mentioned at the beginning of this post is:

http://www.surfmaine.com/rebel/windscreens.html

The resource page mentioned at the top of this post is:

I won't make anyone crawl back up through this thing! I hope that this answers some of the windshield whys and whynots.

enjoy.

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Last edited by Duke on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:52 pm 

one of the things i insist on having on my bikes before they even leave the dealer ... is a windshield

wind shields are priceless in wind fatigue (and bug splat) protection

most prefer a smaller sport style sheild for a smaller bike like the rebel ...

* National Cycle PlexiFairing 3

* National Cycle PlexiStar 2

* National Cycle Street Sheild

* National Cycle Street Sheild EX

* National Cycle Deflector Screen DX

* National Cycle Deflector Screen
[which is what i have on my own rebel]
http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/mill ... 0Main.html

available at http://www.accwhse.com/national.htm#Windshields
be sure to read the sizing charts carefully

=====

* Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshields

* Memphis Shades Bladerunner Windshields

* Memphis Shades Deuce Windshields

* Memphis Shades Del Rey Windshields

* Memphis Shades Del Rio Windshields

* Memphis Shades Demon Windshields

* Memphis Shades El Paso Windshields

* Memphis Shades Hellcat Windshields

* Memphis Shades Malibu Windshields

* Memphis Shades Santa Cruz Windshields

* Memphis Shades Santa Fe Windshields

* Memphis Shades Shooter Windshields

* Memphis Shades Slims Windshields

* Memphis Shades Vera Cruz Windshields

available at http://www.accwhse.com/memphis.htm#Windshields
be sure to read the sizing charts carefully

=====

other windsheilds i have seen mentioned on rebels are ...

* slipstreamer spitfire

=====

NOTE: be sure to read the sizing charts carefully
Rebel 250's have 7/8th"s bars and 33mm fork legs

mounting notes
http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=1231

=========================

http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=2314

http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=1190

Last edited by MillenniumRebel on Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Choosing a Windshield for a tall person
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:30 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Media
Hey,

I read through a lot of the windshield threads... I'm 6'1". I just got my spitfire from Jack and it's not tall enough and I've tried adjusting it and it just won't go any higher or angle anymore. I drive 30 miles on the highway each way to work everyday it is dry so I need something that will keep the air off my face totally.

I have the smaller rising handlebars than some rebels I see...it's a 2003 250.

I'd like one that starts just above the headlight and gets the wind over my head. I've looked at them and I like the looks of the:

National Cycle Deflector Screens DX
National Cycle Street Shields EX
Memphis Shades Alleycat Windshields
Memphis Shades Hellcat Windshields
Memphis Shades Classic Deuce Windshields

But I just don't know which one will give me what I want and don't want to plunk down the cash unless I'm sure it will work. Any other riders my size out there?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Choosing a Windshield
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:15 pm 

OK...I will...subscribe to this thread because hopefully someone else will tell us the answer or I'll figure it out somehow and post it here. I'm sure there are some other tall riders out there...my back hurts from ducking under the shield.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:53 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Simi Valley
I'm 6" and have a Spitfire from Jack. I don't expect the windshield to be over my head. It takes the wind off my torso and that is enough. More windshield is more drag.

1985 Magna 700 (project bike)
Where you look, there you shall go.
Applies to motorcycles, and to life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:03 am 

Right, same one I have with the same experience, but I'm looking for one that does take the wind over my head.

Post subject: Re: Choosing a Windshield for a tall person
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:30 am 

bdgood wrote:
I need something that will keep the air off my face totally.

I'd like one that starts just above the headlight and gets the wind over my head. Thanks.

I don't know if you like the look but I had a 22" Memphis Fats. With 22" from headlight to top, it'll definitly get the wind over your head. They don't make one specifically for the Rebel but it's not hard to adapt it. I evenually went with a smaller one for less drag and I kinda like the wind in my face, most of the time I ride without a sheild anyway.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:08 am 

Thanks, it doesn't look bad, maybe a little big...how did you adapt it?

I think maybe an 18" will work but I'm not sure. I'm hoping someone with an 18" or 20" can tell me.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:46 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Houston
MillenniumRebel wrote:
Most prefer proportional sized sporty windsheilds for smaller bikes like the rebel ...

which is what i have on my own rebel...

Does it work well in cutting the wind gust on highways? I am 5'8'' ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:21 pm 

Rebel04 wrote:
MillenniumRebel wrote:
Most prefer proportional sized sporty windsheilds for smaller bikes like the rebel ...

Yes.

2002 Honda VT1100C3 Shadow Aero (sold)
2004 Honda S2000 (4-wheeled motorcycle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:44 pm 

Rebel04 wrote:
for the 4th time MillenniumRebel wrote:

the undefined variables in your question is 'gust' ... by gust(singular) i am going to assume you mean the wind blast and buffeting associated with head on wind rush from the bike's speed ... as above the answer is already indiacted as a : 'yes, it IS a wind sheild and as such sheilds me from the wind(as defined above ffor 'gust')'

if by 'gust' you actually meant "gusts(plural)", as in gusting cross winds (as opposed to head winds or tail winds), or buffeting gusts from big trucks (suv's, cars, lawnmowers, etc) passing you (or you passing them)
if thats what you were asking, then : NO, the wind sheild is not designed to cover those type "gusts" as it's shadow of protection is behind and not wrapped around to the sides

=====

CAVEAT:

they DO help ..... but only when properly installed

==============================================

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :twisted: :idea:

Last edited by MillenniumRebel on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:11 pm 

MillenniumRebel wrote:
two things i insist on having on my bikes before they even leave the dealer ... engine guard and windshield

wind shields are priceless in wind fatigue and bug splat protection

plus the windshield SMOOTHS OUT the air flow rather than the turbulence your chest creates - why do you think almost all sportbikes have fairings and almost all highway cruisers have the shields

some people like them - some don't ... IMHO they are one of the best additions you can make to your bike if you plan to do a lot of riding outside of town on open roads or above 35mph

=====

NOTE: be sure to read the sizing charts carefully
Rebel 250's have 7/8th"s bars and 33mm fork legs

=====

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:28 am 

I'm the tall rider - 6'1". I ended up buying a memphis big shots with the kit for the honda shadow - hardware kit MEM9940. I then made templates for new brackets out of cardboard and took them to a machine shop to make brackets out of alluminum. They aren't finished yet.

I will be creating a web page when they are finished with pictures and instructions for those who want to do the same. I'm sure if you have time and a dremmel you can make the brackets yourself with my template and some alluminum from home depot. I think in the end it will be a very nice set up and much better for a tall guy then the small handlebar mount sport shield I have now. And I won't have to deal with those handle bar mounts coming loose anymore.

Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:37 am 

City: Houston
MillenniumRebel wrote:
the undefined variables in your question is 'gust' ... by gust(singular) i am going to assume you mean the wind blast and buffeting associated with head on wind rush from the bike's speed ...

Yes this is what I meant; thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:46 pm 

had an opportunity yesterday to be thankful for my windsheild

and was prompted to mention something i haven't seen much mention of in these type discussions ....

i don't even want to imagine being without a windsheild when it rains
( at interstate speeds, rain HURTS )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:57 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Not fair, Dude--- :wink:

I believe I've mentioned on numerous occasions that the only reason I started wearing a facer in the rain is because the older I get, the more it stings the cheeks! :wink:

I am too old and to cussed cantankerous for rosy cheeks! :evil:

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject: windshields
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:59 am 

State/Province: CO
I put a small National cycle deflector on my 250 Rebel. While it helps
I do get wind from around the sides. I have it mounted fairly high so I will experiment with moving it down a little closer to the headlight. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:09 pm 

City: Kingsland
I've been going over and over windshields for a week or so, and I keep going back to the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce. Was wondering if anyone around here has ever had one on their Rebel, and was looking for opinions. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:55 pm 

Just installed a spit fire windshield. Wow! What a difference it makes. I'm six feet tall and sometimes feel like a sail on a ship when I go over 50 mph. This works great! No more getting beat up by the wind. I highly recommend it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:12 pm 

City: Kingsland
I ended up getting the Classic Deuce from Memphis Shades. The company's website listed a 5 3/4" cut-out for that style, which is what I ordered. Come to find out, that windshield is no longer available, so they sent me the one with the 7" cut-out.

After much debate, I went ahead and put it on the bike. I was concerned that there might be to much space between the headlight and the shield, but I really liked the styling of the Classic Deuce. The good news is that it looks great, really goes well on a Rebel. The 5 3/4" would probably have been better, but I'm very happy with this sheild. The chrome mounting hardware was included, it went on easy, and there is no need to relocate the turn signals.

For those taller riders (I'm 6'2"), the shield easily pushes the air over my eyes and forehead. I can definately endorse this shield. It's a good piece of equipment.

Lance