It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oil change - wow
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 pm 

State/Province: OK
City: East Okc
I'ave only posted once before, I've been mostly reading all I can here. The Rebel is the first bike I've owned, though I've had lots of seat time on many others. I had no idea what an oil change can do for a motorcycle. I read multiple times that how a bike shifts can be a very good indicator as to when the oil needs to be changed. Seeing as I just got the bike a couple weeks ago, I decided an oil change was in order ASAP. (I've already logged about 200 miles since I've had it) Well, surprise surprise. After an oil change, adding a fule filter, and a bit of chain lube, a few of the things I've read here ring true. It now shifts INCREDIBLY smoother than before. Fuel filter was a breeze, actually cut about 3/4" of line out of the loop. Overall, it was a very satisfying way to spend an hour in the garage with the lil' girl.

My point?

Thanks to all of you for providing so much information here. It's been an invaluable tool in selecting a bike, as well as answering newbie questions as to how to handle maintenance and other issues.

So, thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:07 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Keep up the good work, you're off to a fine start!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:14 am 

State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
I'm not a habitual oil level checker, the bike at 6400 miles and just over 700 miles since last oil change to 20-50 for the first time. I checked the level yesterday before 150 miles of riding and it's still way up on the hatch marks. To my amazment it still has some amber color. I'll continue to check and may put off a change till 1200 or 1500 miles if the clutch doesn't act up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:47 am 

State/Province: TN
so as to not make another thread...How often do you guys change your oil? I've put almost 2000 miles on since I've gotten the bike. And I got the bike with 4000 something on it. I'm changing mine within the next week but I was just wondering if I should have changed it earlier since it's not a filter but a screen...

Also should I have a tune up?

Please help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:54 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Plano (dallas)
A search would reveal that members of this forum recommend 1000-4000 miles for the oil change interval.

Also, the Rebel has CDI ignition, there really isn't anything to "tune up" except for a valve adjustment and change or re-gap the spark plug, and that happens every several thousand miles.

More important is your chain maintenance.

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject: Re: Oil change - wow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:21 am 

YA RLY wrote:
I'ave only posted once before, I've been mostly reading all I can here. The Rebel is the first bike I've owned, though I've had lots of seat time on many others. I had no idea what an oil change can do for a motorcycle. I read multiple times that how a bike shifts can be a very good indicator as to when the oil needs to be changed. Seeing as I just got the bike a couple weeks ago, I decided an oil change was in order ASAP. (I've already logged about 200 miles since I've had it) Well, surprise surprise. After an oil change, adding a fule filter, and a bit of chain lube, a few of the things I've read here ring true. It now shifts INCREDIBLY smoother than before. Fuel filter was a breeze, actually cut about 3/4" of line out of the loop. Overall, it was a very satisfying way to spend an hour in the garage with the lil' girl.

My point?

Thanks to all of you for providing so much information here. It's been an invaluable tool in selecting a bike, as well as answering newbie questions as to how to handle maintenance and other issues.

So, thanks all!

you're very welcome ...

tbolt wrote:
First thought on the first ride post-oil change: Why the heck didn't I do this the day after we got this thing?! :lol:

Did I mention that I'm not mechanically experienced and have never changed oil in anything before?

The whole process was really easy, thanks to MilleniumRebel's oil change page and someone's (Skeletor's?) videos on YouTube. So thank you both for the good resources.

Quote:

Our Rebel just hit 3700 miles -- so the 4000 mile maintenance is coming up. When we take it in to the dealer, would it be worth it to tell them to skip the oil change since we just did one? Or will they just charge us for one anyway?

Dj wrote:
Yup, always great info on MR's pages.

I forgot to mention about the shifting issue... The first time MR told me to change my oil after I was complaining it was tough to shift I was like "whatever man!" Then I went out and changed my oil, and the shifting problem went away.

It's funny how that works, but it's true
:lol: