It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Move Rear Turn Signal Lights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:04 pm 

I have seen a few people move the turn signals to the license plate area. I'm thinking of doing this to get clearance for my saddlebags. I think a 1" x 1/8" bar stock of aluminum bent in a U shape and then mounted to the wiring box with the signals mounted onto the aluminum will do the trick. Anybody have any advice or what they did. Pictures?

Post subject: Re: Move Rear Turn Signal Lights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:22 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
I moved ours to the license plate mount. There is a short explanation here.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
Rebel: 450
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
Might stay away from aluminum due to vibration. Steel "L" brackets are a better choice. YMMV.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:29 pm 

I looked at the pictures. Even printed them out so I could go look on the bike. It looks like the rack moves the whole license plate assembly back almost an inch. The top of my assembly is just tucked in under the fender. This extra gap allows the side surface of the wiring box to be used as a mount point. On my Rebel the side surface is pretty much behind the fender. I could probably make a spacer and install longer bolts to move the license mount back and then do what you've done and it might even set me up for an eventual rack although I'm not dead set on the rack style you have and might do something custom with my sissy bar.

Sounds like you still needed to make spacers to go between the box and the lights, probably about 1/2 to 3/4" thick.

My idea was to take aluminum bar stock and wrap it around the bottom of the box effectively extending the box down, and possibly back. Perhaps arriving at the signals being mounted as if their coming right out of the sides of the license plate, with the mount bolted to the box and the lights bolted onto the mount. Working with aluminum I don't think it would take me too long. One way would lower them a bit and the other would lower them some more.

I'm not sure why aluminum is bad for vibration. It's not as flex resistant as steel, but seems easy enough to bend. I used 1/2" aluminum flatstock for my saddlebag supports. It might not bend 90 without fracturing, but that would be immediately apparent. It is a lot easier to work with than steel and doesn't rust.

I was thinking something like this but with straighter lines:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 pm 

I talked it over with my wife and she thinks that the straight back modification vs the back and down modification will provide more clearance for the saddlebags. Can you tell me how thick the spacers are to mount the lights to the wiring box? I'm guessing pretty thick. What did you make them out of?

ddouble wrote:
I moved ours to the license plate mount. There is a short explanation here.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:31 pm 

Hey Dan, those license plate reflectors look huge. Are they stock or are they lights or something? Both of mine are missing and I was kinda thinking of removing the brackets, but then you could see the rusty innards.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
We no longer have that bike so I can't measure the spacers, it was a Honda accessory so maybe someone that installed one will chime in.

We replaced the reflectors with LED trailer lights, They were wired to the brake light. When you hit the brakes the whole back of the bike lit up.

The top bolts on the licence plate are LED's too. They were wired to the tail light.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:23 pm 

serious cool